SMN Twitter





    Monday, December 9, 2013

    EDITORIAL: Top 5 Cancelled Shows That Should Get The Netflix Treatment


    Hey folks! I've been trying to think about what I should write about next, and then it hit me! I'm here today to share my thoughts on which 5 cancelled TV shows I would like to see revived via Netflix!

    Now, by now we have all heard about Arrested Development's triumphant return through Netflix as well as Netflix's original programming including Hemlock Grove, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and more on the way (such as Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and The Defenders from Marvel). That being said, since we know Netflix has revived shows in the past, here are my personal Top 5 shows that I would love to see make a return to my computer screen:


    5. V

    V was an incredible series in my opinion. It took a concept that was from the 1980's and made it into something better and modern and into something the audiences could sink their teeth into.

    I remember watching the first episode back in 2009 hoping that this series would get at least three seasons. It got two, but it was enough for me to get into the series and fall in love with it just as dearly as those who worked on it did. Oddly enough I don't think enough people appreciate this show, which is sad to me.

    The Season 2, and series, finale left us with a few big cliffhangers, so big to the point that I wish I had put this show up higher on my list, but that would take away from the other shows that I want on here, so I cannot do that. I was actually fighting with myself to make either V or Firefly the 5th spot on this list, and ultimately I obviously chose V. Firefly was given some "closure" with Serenity, whereas V was left empty handed. This show would definitely work well on Netflix, though you'd have to kill off Elizabeth Mitchell's character on Revolution in order to do so... Which I wouldn't mind because she's a bad-ass on V whereas on Revolution she can sometimes be irritating.


    4. HUMAN TARGET

    Another FOX show! There will be a total of two shows on this list that FOX has had the "honor" of killing, and this one's the second!

    Let me be perfectly honest with you all here, Human Target was a fantastic show and cancelling it was one of the biggest mistakes FOX has ever made. Mark Valley, Chi McBride, and Jackie Earle Haley were phenomenal! While watching Season 1 live, Christopher Chance (like Dean Winchester) quickly became one of my favorite television characters. He was just a blast to watch in action! The best part about this series is that usually, the cases they work on don't turn out the way we might think. Not to mention the over-arching plot-lines with Chance's former boss and, of course, Baptiste (played by Lennie James).

    Now, some people aren't too fond of Season 2, and I understand why, but I think it's great. Ilsa and Ames are very good additions to the series and actually help the team, for the most part, as opposed to being a hindrance or simple plot device. The way the season ended, it could have been a solid conclusion to the series, but there are still too many loose ends that need to be tied up. For instance, more with the Old Man and Baptiste, Guerrero backstory, the Chance/Ilsa relationship, and so on and so forth. 

    Unfortunately, FOX never really gave this show a fair enough chance (ha!) and I would love to see Netflix take this series and re-ignite the spark that it had when the series first started, because I could always use some more Human Target! Plus, it's more DC Comics television!!!


    3. JERICHO

    Ah Jericho... Jericho started in 2006 and quickly became the little show that could. At the end of it's first full season, CBS wanted to cancel the series. Fans rioted and got the network to pick it up for a 7 episode second season. After that, the series was once again over. IDW Publishing released a Jericho: Season 3 - Civil War comic book series that continued from the Season 2 finale and are now onto a Season 4 book as well. 

    Jericho is one of those shows that hooks you in right away and makes you question everything you know about your country, your life, and what you would do if a nuke went off in a city near you. Jericho is about one town trying to stay alive. A town attacked by mercenaries, government agents, and the town next-door to try and take their land, supplies, and food. Jericho is truly a story about survival and it is one of the best television series I have watched, ever.

    Unlike most of the shows on this list, this is one show that I could actually see Netflix picking up, especially since the actors and series creators aren't doing much currently (one of the series creators actually also created Human Target!). In fact, I think out of all the shows on my list, this is the one I could see them picking up most. I won't say it's the one I WANT them to pick up most because obviously that would be the #1 on my list, but it's definitely one that I would want more than just about any show out there.


    2. TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES

    Speaking of shows that will never be revived, in the wake of Terminator: Genesis and a new Terminator television series, I know TSCC would never come back in any way, shape, or form (unless it be a comic book), but I will still put this show on my list. In fact, it's probably even more unlikely to be revived than Firefly would be!

    I love TSCC. As a huge Terminator fan in general, the entire concept of this show was great. Don't get me wrong, I really do love (as a Terminator fan) both Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines and Terminator Salvation, but the idea of an alternate timeline in which John and Sarah Connor were sent to the present from the past really intrigued me, especially since before hand people only traveled back in time, not forward. "Mr. Ferguson is Ill Today" actually still remains as one of my all time favorite episodes of television, not just TSCC but of all of television. The show was just so well done, and out of Firefly and Human Target, this is the series I'm most upset with FOX for cancelling.

    Unfortunately, actresses Summer Glau and Lena Headey are busy with other things to bring this show back, another reason why it wouldn't ever happen, but regardless I would definitely watch if TSCC were to return. To this day, TSCC is one of my favorite sci-fi series' of all time.


    1. ALPHAS

    This one probably surprises you. I'm guessing most people expected my #1 to be some big FOX, NBC, CBS show, but it's not, it's a SyFy show. Alphas is another show that I would put in my list for favorite sci-fi series, easily. 

    Alphas was a lot like X-Men, and people said that show show ripped off the X-Men, and to an extent maybe, but over-all I disagree. It took the concept of X-Men and took away the superhero aspect and made them individual people. More than that, when Bill, the character with super-strength, uses his powers, it puts stress and strain on his heart. Kat, who can learn any move by observing it, can't remember what happened a month ago. Nina, who can control you by looking into your eyes, can be controlled by her own power. Gary, who can see all electromagnetic radiation/wavelengths, has autism. Cameron, who can hyperkinesis, cannot use his power when under a lot of stress. And so on and so forth. Not only did Alphas make mutants (or in the shows case, "alphas") more human, it also gives them weaknesses much like any normal person has. That's what I loved about this show, not to mention the entire Red Flag plot-line.

    The characters of Alphas were also easy to get into and like. There was not one character on the show I hated except for the villain, who we are supposed to hate, obviously. Even when some characters turned "dark-side", I still was rooting for them and I wanted them to over-come it, all of which did. Unfortunately, the series fell due to the Summer Glau Curse, no just kidding, but she was on the show for about 3-4 episodes.

    Alphas ended with an unresolved cliffhanger that will most-likely never have an ending, which will leave us guessing whether the characters lived or died for the rest of our lives. This show would work great on Netflix!

    Runners Up

    FIREFLY - Would it ever happen? No. Can I dream? Absolutely!

    BREAKING IN - Probably the one on my "Runners Up" that I would want the most... This show was just so funny and Michael Rosenbaum's Dutch was one of the best things I've ever seen in terms of television comedy. I'd love this show to get the Netflix treatment!

    CHUCK - At first I was disappointed with the finale, but since then I have come to love and accept it. Though I still think there are so many more stories to tell and as Chuck is one of my favorites, I'd do anything to have it back.

    FRINGE - Some people love the finale (me!), some people hate it, but either way I think there's more you could do with the Fringe-verse, even if you made it focus on the alternate versions of the main characters as opposed to the ones we've been following for 5 years!

    :: Disclaimer :: Superhero Movie News is run by volunteer contributors. If we are asked to take down anything we will and it will not be put back up after that.....No questions asked. Visit our COPYRIGHT TAKEDOWN REQUEST Page for details.