SMN Twitter





    Sunday, November 3, 2013

    Roby Reviews: THOR: THE DARK WORLD


    You thought the first Thor was a… bore? Well guess what! This one isn’t. God that was a dreadful way to open a review, if I have lost your attention, please let your attention come back to me, I promise I won’t put it to waste ever again. Thor: The Dark World marks Marvel’s second film release of 2013, and frankly it’s their best. While I adored Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World really snips the crown for best comic book movie of 2013. Now, I’m Australian, so this review may be a little bias towards Chris Hemsworth, it’s not my fault he’s just so darn dreamy. So without further ado, let’s get insideThor and his dark world… Oh my word, that was bad.


    Now, I’m going to be completely honest with you. I’m not a fan of Joss Whedon. I hate The Avengers, I really do, it’s tacky and it just feels… bloated. It’s like if Kim Kardashian were a film, it’d be The Avengers. But now that I’ve got that off my chest, let’s have a look at Marvel’s latest film. I loved Thor: The Dark World. Basically, without spoiling the entire film, Thor: The Dark World pits everyone’s favourite God, Thor, against the evil Malekith who is threatening to destroy Asgard and every one of the nine realms. Everything about this film had me pleading for more and praying that the end credits wouldn’t hit, and ¾ times I prayed, it worked. Game Of Thronesdirector, Alan Taylor, directs the film so naturally it looks beautiful. The sets are fantastic and some of the special effects and fighting scenes are truly breath taking, I’d love to see what the budget for this film was.


    The acting in this film was top notch, it was nice to see one of the most underrated actors of our time, Ireland’s very own, Chris O’Dowd appear in the film, while it was just fantastic to see everyone reunited once more for the epic sequel. Natalie Portman didn’t annoy me this time around, which is always something to smile about and Tom Hiddleston’s Loki remains to be a great asset to Marvel and their feature films. Chris Hemsworth does a great job as Thor in his third film as the character, with Anthony Hopkins providing the goods as usual. Former Doctor Who star, Christopher Eccleston plays the main baddie in this film, Malekith and he does a excellent job, it’s a shame when it is revealed that Malekith is actually a cheap British actor (drum sound). One thing that really did bug me was the lack of The Warriors Three. I mean, sure we got a lot of Lady Sif (who was played by the brilliant Wonder Woman… I mean Jaimie Alexander) but we didn’t get enough Zachary Levi. When Levi was on screen however… He was cool, but I’m damn sure if he was in it a bit more, I would have liked him a lot more.


    Overall the film was very enjoyable, the two post credit scenes are excellent and well handled and they made me very keen to see what Marvel do with the upcoming Guardians Of The Galaxy. If you live in Australia and have nothing to do for the rest of the week, go watch Thor: The Dark Worldbefore the brash American’s see the film. Or if you’re American, in the words of Nelson from The Simpsons, “ha-ha.” Thor: The Dark World was an excellent and enjoyable fantasy film, with brilliant writing and stunning visual effects, Thor: The Dark World has become my favourite superhero movie of the year, so suck it Snyder.


    :: Disclaimer :: Superhero Movie News is run by volunteer contributors. If we are asked to take down anything we will and it will not be put back up after that.....No questions asked. Visit our COPYRIGHT TAKEDOWN REQUEST Page for details.