SMN Twitter





    Wednesday, June 18, 2014

    Director Scott Derrickson Reveals He Fought For The Directing Gig on 'Doctor Strange'


    Recently through the trades and not officially by Marvel director Scott Derrickson was announced as the director of the upcoming Marvel cosmic/supernatural movie called Doctor Strange. We have known for months that a Doctor Strange movie was in the works at Marvel. After the name drop in Captain America: The Winter Soldier as well as word that this specific project is near and dear to Marvel head Kevin Feiges heart.

    Now while the movie hasn't been "announced" the guys over at JoBlo sat down with the director to ask him a few questions on the project. First off the director admits he has gotten more Twitter followers since the announcement which is good but not much else has changed. When asked if Doctor Strange is his favorite mainstream Marvel character the director said.
    I think when you consider the work that I've done it makes sense that he'd be my favorite comic book character, at least in the Marvel universe. Probably the only comic character in that mainstream world that I'm suited to. I feel such an affinity for the character and the story and the ambition of those comics, especially the original Stan Lee and Steve Ditko "Strange Tales" - I think those are my favorite of all of them. The entire history of the comics is extraordinary.
    He goes onto reveal that he actually had to fight to get the gig as director:
    I wanted it really bad. More than any other project that I've gone after, I felt compelled to do everything in my power to get on that project. Genuinely felt like I was the right guy to do it.
    They went onto ask if he has any actors in mind to take on the Sorcerer Supreme in which he very nicely dismisses it saying he can't talk about it. They did also ask with his background in horror with such films like The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Sinister will we see some horror elements in this movie in which he replied "We'll see!" but he does go onto admit it's still very much a Marvel movie which has always had a kid-friendly element to it:
    I think the nicest surprise for me, the most unexpected surprise, is the positive reaction. Both to me getting the film - I guess I expected the detractors, and they just haven't been there, it's all been quite positive. More than that, it's just the general enthusiasm for Doctor Strange. I think people who know the comic world and the Marvel universe, they all feel the same way I do, which is, "This is the Marvel movie we're all ready to see now." This movie needs to exist. The outpouring of excitement that people have shown is the thing I've been most pleasantly surprised.
    Last we heard was that fan-favorite Benedict Cumberbatch (Star Trek into Darkness) as well as Tom Hardy are on top of Marvels wish list for the role. Other actors who's name has been thrown into the mix include Jared Leto, Jon Hamm and Johnny Depp!

    You can expect an official announcement from Marvel next month at San Diego Comic-Con. let's hope they have an actor cast as well by the time the Con rolls around!

    :: Disclaimer :: Superhero Movie News is run by volunteer contributors. If we are asked to take down anything we will and it will not be put back up after that.....No questions asked. Visit our COPYRIGHT TAKEDOWN REQUEST Page for details.